A blog about things I like

If you are interested in quilting, patchwork, children's literature and books in general, you've come to the right blog.

Tuesday 10 June 2014

Maleficent - a movie review.

I went to see Maleficent yesterday, since it was a public holiday, and DD, her bestie, and DH came too. We chose this film because we thought DD would like it, and since it was rated 'M' we thought we'd better be good parents and not send her alone or with her buddies. So far she has not been allowed to see any 'M' rated films. She's only twelve and there is plenty of time for that when she is older.

I didn't really know much about it, but I'd heard it was a dark fairy tale, and a retelling of Sleeping Beauty. Angelina Jolie stars as Maleficent. The story is narrated in true fairy tale style, but hubby thought this was a sign of a weak story, when the narrator is needed to fill in the gaps. It even starts with the Disney castle from the opening credits, which thought was pretty cheesy. 

Maleficent is a fairy in a fairyland called The Moors where there are no kings or queens but all the magical creatures cooperate and look after each other's needs.
Next door is a kingdom ruled by a grumpy old king. He wants to take over the  fairyland just because it's there, and when Maleficent defends her land she makes an enemy for life. 




It turns out that Maleficent is the bad fairy who does not get invited to the princess' christening and who curses the child to prick her finger on a spindle and fall asleep forever. In the Sleeping Beauty story it was because was cranky at being left out that she cursed the baby, but in this version it is because she has been tortured and betrayed by the baby's father, the new king Stefan. For some crazy reason the king sends his baby daughter off for safekeeping with three ditsy little fairies to be brought up in the woods just outside The Moors. 

There are all sorts of other details I've left out, but I don't want to ruin any surprises. But if you like fairy tales you are bound to love this one. Jolie does a great job and portrays Maleficent with sensitivity.
Like most fantasy movies these days, there is a lot of CGI. A few of the fairyland creatures look like Jim Henson creations and reminded me of Labyrinth (one of my favourites).

I have not seen Sleeping Beauty so I didn't really know that Maleficent had a name or a part in the Disney film. 

DD gives the movie 4 stars. Her favourite part was the magic land of The Moors. I'm going to take her to see Neverending Story at the movies next month, I think she will love it!
Hubby said 4 and then changed his rating to 3.5. 
I think I will concur with him and give it 3.5 stars too.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks. I was wondering about it. Doubt we will spring for movie tickets, but will probably see it when it comes out on DVD to rent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for playing Siskal and Ebert for me. Your 3.5 rating saves me from having to pay any $$$$ to see the film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family saw it when we went on vacation. We really enjoyed the film! I don't remember the main character having that name either, but it has been a long time since I have seen Sleeping Beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering about it. I am a fan of the original. And I am always curious of re makes or adding on to a story.
    Thank you for doing such a good job on the review. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The original Disney Sleeping Beauty in one of my all time favorites, from the art to Tchaikovsky's music. Thanks for the review, sounds like I should wait to see it at home:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review. My daughter's friends wanted her to go see it, but she didn't think it was for her. I'm following you from the Christian Artists Street team on Etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We really enjoyed this movie, too! Thought it was great.

    ReplyDelete